Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Day 2

A little background:

I'm 40 years old and married with two young boys.  My family loves the hell out of me and I'm incredibly fortunate to have them.  I should tell them that way more often than I do.  As anybody with kids will tell you, they have a special way of driving you batty.

For several years my nightly routine has been to get the kids to bed by 8:00-8:30 and then make my first drink of the evening.  My drink of choice is vodka with Diet Mountain Dew...a cup half full of ice, 2.5-3 shots of vodka, and a full can of Diet Dew.  Sounds kinda gross, but it's actually really good.  And unlike sober blogs, I'm pretty sure I invented this drink. 

My wife usually goes to be early which leaves me all to my lonesome for the rest of the evening.  And the rest of the evening could be as late as 2:00am if I'm really feeling it.  I'll have at least two drinks before the night is over, but lately it's often stretched to three.  That's up to nine shots of vodka per night.  This happens three, four, maybe five nights a week.  However, there are times when I'll do this every night for two or three weeks. 

On special occasions it's on!  I have no idea how many drinks I had New Year's Eve. 

I had lunch with an old friend today which was nice.  Found out that one of our other friends, a guy we used to work with, just went to jail for two years.  I didn't get the full story, but it involved a hit and run, and our mutual friend was drunk.  He's struggled with alcoholism for many years.  The three of us used to work in a warehouse together back in the day.  Our friend used to occasionally show up for work drunk.  The owner of the company was a really nice guy, so instead of firing him on the spot, the owner would send him home for the day.  Eventually, the owner bought a breathalyzer and made our friend blow before starting work every morning.  Sad story. 

Anyway, I woke up feeling good this morning.  It's still an hour or two until I'd typically make my first drink, but it's not happening tonight.  That I know.  One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment