Friday, January 24, 2014

Day 12 - bachelor weekend

I'm gonna go ahead and throw this out there:  On a Friday night, my kitchen is much more fun when it's spinning around me.  It just is.

Having said that, no drink tonight.  I figured this weekend would be a challenge.  My wife took the boys to Houston to see the grandparents for the weekend.  That means I've got the house to myself all weekend. 

Normal operating procedure for such a weekend would be for me to stock up on vodka on Friday afternoon.  Then I'd hit it early....like 6:00 or 7:00 and I'd power on until about 2:00.  I'd fill the night with junk food, TV, Youtube, and probably a fair amount of drunk texting as the night went on.  My typical two stiff drinks would likely turn into three or four.  That's up to 12 shots of vodka.  I'd go to bed late and wake up feeling like shit.  Then I'd try to be productive on Saturday, but I'd be tired from getting creased the previous night.  Saturday night would be round two.

This weekend is different.  It's Friday night and I don't feel the urge to drink.  But I was thinking that I miss staying up late and being useless.....yeah, it's good to be productive, and there's more than enough stuff to do around here, but being useless every now and then is a good way to unwind.  At least for me.  I usually go to bed early if I'm not boozing, which is a good thing.  I won't have two boys jumping on me in the morning though, so I may have a late sober night.  I can sleep in tomorrow and wake up feeling good, so I'll have that going for me....which is nice?

So onward with my sober house-to-myself Friday night.  I'm going to break out my favorite drinking cup (the Cheeseburger in Paradise plastic mug I got in Hawaii several years ago), fill it halfway with ice, and dump a can of Diet Dew in there.  It'll be just like most of my other Friday nights, minus the Vodka.

Cheers!

2 comments: