Monday, February 24, 2014

Day 43 - I'm very fortunate

First of all, I'm really bad at dates....as in dates of the month.  What I mean by that is if I know today is the 24th and it's Monday, the only way that I could figure out what last Wednesday's date was would be to either look at a calendar or count back one day at a time using my fingers.  I know it's simple math, but it completely escapes me. 

I just reread the above paragraph and it didn't make any sense to me either. 

No, I'm not drunk! 

The reason I mentioned my date deficiency is because I figure out what day of sobriety I'm on based on the last date that I posted....and I just realized that there's a good chance that I'm not even on day 43 of this journey.  But I'm sticking with day 43....at least until tomorrow.

Anyway, it's good to get that off my chest and out of the way. 

I swear I'm not drunk....or stoned!

Was thinking about my sobriety today and I realized how good I have it.  Yeah, it sucks that I can't be one of those guys who can have a few drinks once and awhile and then put the bottle away for a few weeks, but I've got a few things going for me here.

I was a nighttime alone drinker.  I always figured that drinking alone was likely a sign of a problem, but for me it seems to be somewhat of a blessing.  Since I rarely ever drank with other people, I don't have any drinking buddies.  I have friends that I used to drink with, but things happen, life gets in the way, and I don't see most of these friends all that much.  We stay in touch, but its mostly through email and texts. 

I still see some of my old drinking buddies on a fairly regular basis, but we don't drink together much anymore....we do other things.  Golf, eat, paint guitars in garages...things like that.

I have family members who drink and they usually indulge on holidays and other occasions.  They know that I drink/drank, but I rarely ever drank around them, mostly because I refuse to drive after even one drink.

My friends and family don't know that I have a drinking problem, and they don't know that I quit.  It'll probably come up at some point, but it could be a long time before it does, and it likely won't be a big deal when it does.

The upshot of being an alone drinker is that I haven't had any peer pressure about having a drink.  That's been a big help I believe....and for that I feel very fortunate.   Quitting the drink can be a real pain in the ass.  Having a bunch of people tell me that I don't really have a drinking problem is something I'm happy to not have to deal with. 

3 comments:

  1. Just finished reading through all your posts, great stuff. It was interesting to see this one. Most of my friends and family have any idea I drink, much less that I have a problem. It has been interesting to be "hiding" the fact I have quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's been much easier going for me not having to deal with peer pressure. So far in seven plus weeks I've only had one weekend where it was "expected" that I would be drinking. I made fake drinks. Nobody noticed. It helped that I knew that weekend was coming so I was prepared. It also helped that mixed drinks were my thing. "fake" mixed drinks are easy to hide.

    Congrats on quitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made post made me giggle. You sound so much like me in regards to the date/days thing. I had to get a sobriety app for my phone to keep track. Otherwise, it escapes me.

    ReplyDelete