Friday, February 7, 2014

Day 26 - First world problems

A couple weeks ago we had rain all day Thursday which turned to sleet that night.  No news from the school district about any closures.  The next morning the streets were iced over.  I spent 15 minutes breaking the ice off of my windshield.  Took the older boy (Seven) to school.  As we were getting out of the car the crossing guard said, "they just announced school would be starting two hours late."  Great timing.  Then ended up cancelling the whole day.  Later that evening the district super sent an email apologizing for his late decision.

Jump forward to this Wednesday night.  Forecast said below freezing temps with no chance of precipitation.  Still, at 9:30 we got the call, email, and text saying school would be starting two hours late.  Ok, fine.

Yesterday morning it was cold...stayed cold all day, but no precipitation.   The roads were fine.  That was slightly irritating because my younger son (Five) goes to a pre-school from 9-1 every day.  If Seven's school starts late, which it did yesterday, then Five's school is closed altogether for the day.  It wasn't that big of a deal though.

Last night the forecast called for below freezing temps again with a 10% chance of rain/sleet.  Around here, a 10% chance of rain means there's no chance of rain....it aint happening.  We have to get up to a 50-60% chance before it even comes close to raining.

Still, 9:30 last night I was getting ready for bed when the phone call/email/text came in....schools are all cancelled on Friday.  Are you fucking kidding me???!!!  I was pissed because I knew it wouldn't rain or sleet....which it didn't....anywhere in the city.  The boys were already on edge from being stuck in the house most of Thursday due to the cold temps.  Friday was going to be hell!

So as I was getting ready for bed I was cussing out the school district superintendent under my breath and running through all the reasons why I fully deserved to be pissed off at everything and how being stuck in the house with the boys all day Friday was going to drive me nuts and this and that and then it dawned on me.....

I was about to go to bed completely sober...for the 25th day in a row.  And tomorrow I was going to wake up feeling good and unhungovered. 

I was ok after that.  Today was kinda rough but the boys and I powered through.  And Daddy stayed sober......again.


1 comment:

  1. Ha! Feel your pain on the Snow Days. Very glad you powered through. Your boys are glad, too.

    ReplyDelete