Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Day 30 - A few things

I'm getting kinda bored with this whole sobriety thing.  Not being sober, that's been really nice.  But the nostalgia has worn off and I'm tired of thinking about it.  The problem is I can't stop thinking about it.  That's getting old.  It was exciting for awhile.  Now I'm just a guy who isn't drinking. I should be excited at the fact that I haven't had a drink in over four weeks, but it seems to be more of a "ah, whatever" feeling.  I guess that's good in a way.

So far this journey has been incredibly easy for me....except for when it hasn't been.  Then it just plain sucks!  Fortunately, those "just plain sucks" times are far and few between.  They do tend to come out of nowhere though.  That voice....Wolfie, Sally...lately I've been calling him Gene Simmons.  Not sure why.

I was at the grocery store yesterday. The lady at the register finished scanning my stuff and said, "Do you need any ice or stamps?"  Ice!.....That's when Gene started talking.

About six months ago the ice maker on our refrigerator broke.  We had it fixed under warranty several years ago and if not for the warranty it would have cost us close to $200 to fix.  A bag of ice is $4.  I did the math....and I'm kinda lazy sometimes.  So I started buying bags of ice once and awhile instead of calling a repair man. 

Ice was a basic necessity for my vodka drinks so along with the vodka and diet Dew, I ALWAYS made sure I had enough ice to get me through the evening before I commenced with the evening's drink a thon.  I haven't bought ice since I stopped drinking, and the grocery store clerk's comment proved to be a major trigger.....it came out of nowhere....He did...Gene.  He started talking and he wouldn't shut up for a good long while. 

I powered through, but it wasn't fun.  The grocery store clerk should have known better than to do that to me.  Haha!




1 comment:

  1. Gene Simmons! Love it. Whatever we call "that" voice, it is incredibly specific and instantly recognizable. Congrats on not giving Gene an audience for 30 DAYS! Well done.

    ReplyDelete