Monday, February 3, 2014

Day 22 - A sober Super Bowl

Well that wasn't so hard.  It's been a long time since I've watched a Super Bowl unboozed.  I had an invite to a friends Super Bowl party.  He promised quarter bets on anything and plenty of shots.  I would have gone (and not drank), but my boys were really excited about watching the game this year and they weren't interested in going to a party.  So we watched it at home.....and it was nice.

Three full weeks down now.  I hate to say that it's been easier than expected....but it has...so far.  I still get the occasional urge.  It's more of an impulse than an urge I guess.  It's an impulse followed by a quick feeling of excited anticipation, immediately followed by a slightly depressing feeling.  "Oh yeah, I'm not drinking anymore."  The heroin helps with that.....kidding.  I assume those impulses will end up lasting quite a long time.  After all, I drank on a fairly regular basis for over 20 years.  Sounds like a real problem when I look at it that way.

Speaking of heroin, Philip Seymour Hoffman died of an apparent heroin overdose yesterday.  Sad ending for an incredible actor.  I don't have any experience with heroin or most any illegal substance.  I was always deathly afraid to try anything like heroin.....not that I ever had it offered to me.  I've read about how amazing the high is, and how addictive it is.  I can't stop drinking diet soda, I wouldn't stand a chance against heroin.

Day 23 tomorrow.....Bring it!

6 comments:

  1. For me, so far, the first 3 weeks have been the hardest, and it gets a bit easier after that. And I too often experienced the urge to drink as a impulse, that was fairly easily chased away by: Remember, honey, we are not drinking right now. Congratulations on a sober Super Bowl, enjoying it with your family, and 23 days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, congratulations on 23 days. I'm just past 50 days and it seems that there is absolutely no downside to not drinking (except for the actual Not Drinking part). Really like your posts. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I started following your blog. I've been inhaling sober blogs since I started this journey. Yours is next. It's my new thing. Congrats on your 50 days!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Carrie. I love your blog by the way. I've been reading it the last few days. I think I'm on Day 27...I've got some catching up to do. You weren't kidding about the improved sleep quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a sober Superbowl. Being a non-American I don't really understand the big deal.. except that it must be something like watching our Super 14 (rugby) final.. or some sheep dog trials or something (kidding).. I did see Bruno Mars perform though with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.. if you want to read about heroin addiction read Antony Kiedis's book Scar Tissue.. amazing that guy is still alive .. Congrats on the 27/28/29? days. Keep on keeping on! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Super Bowl is kind of a big deal in America. The funny thing is a lot of people only watch the SB for the commercials. There's nothing quite like going to a SB party, having everybody talk over the game, and then watching the room go silent during the commercial breaks. Crazy.

      I'll look into Scar Tissue. I've read bios on various other musicians...I'm convinced that rock stars are not quite human.

      Delete